Lifenotes #10: May & June 2021
A two for one special!· 4 min read ⏱️
- Second lockdown birthday 🥲 it was nice though, saw some friends the day before, and had a nice chilled day 🎈
- Attended All Day Hey! and learnt a bunch 🤓
- Learnt to vinyl print, and made a funny t-shirt for Jamie 😄
- My mum, sister and nephews came to visit for a whole week! It was really lovely to see them, and it was the first time they've been over since we've been in the house. Having the space to host everyone was great.
- I upgraded from my old and tired series 3 Apple watch to a shiny blue series 6 ⌚️
- Our garden has been really lovely through spring and into summer. It's a little overgrown and has lots of different plants, but that means it's been flowering non stop and full of bees 💛
- Saw friends for another garden gathering 🎉
- Convinced myself I needed something a little more portable than my laptop and a bit bigger/better than my old iPad pro, so I got a new M1 iPad pro. So far I love it, and the new magic keyboard with the trackpad is so nice to use 😌
- The West Wing: started watching it at Emma and Andrew's recommendation, and now I'm hooked!
- Finished Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race, by Reni Eddo-Lodge. A brilliant book by any measure.
- Promising Young Woman: this one'd been on my list for a while, but I was a bit nervous considering the topic (sexual assault). It is so good, though! It's so well done, highly recommend a watch.
- JWT should not be your default for sessions by Evert Pot
- Keith Haring on Creativity, Empathy, and What Makes Us Who We Are by Maria Popova
- Booksmart: nice and easy comedy.
- Friends reunion: was a bit of a strange one, but as a friends fan, I couldn't miss it.
- Bo Burnham's Inside: it captures so well what life has been like for the last 18 months. However, in the ensuing time I've still not been able to get rid of the constant singing inside my head 😅 (🎤 CEO ENTREPRENEUR BORN IN 1964 IT'S JEFFREEEEY 🎵)
- Substack's UI and 1Password just cost me $2,023 by Timmy O'Mahony
- Conditionally loading a polyfill for :focus-visible by Alistair Shepherd
- This thread about a Figma bug was great.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom with the nephews 😄
- The dispassionate developer by Mark Seemann
- Bo Burnham's Make Happy: I just wanna give him a hug 🥺
- The right tag for the job: why you should use semantic HTML by Sophie Koonin
- The Amazon That Customers Don’t See by Jodi Kantor, Karen Weise and Grace Ashford
- I love Dick, by Chris Kraus. I’m pretty sure this is the first epistolary book I’ve read, and I enjoyed the format. I didn’t expect to connect to Chris as a protagonist, honestly, but then I guess she’s a heady and extremely honest woman, and of course, there’s the patriarchy. It wasn’t the easiest read, but I get the hype for it.
- Kill the 5-Day Workweek by Joe Pinsker
- It takes two: was looking for a good coop game to play with Thom and found this, it's great!
- Companies are leaving neurodiversity out of their DEI conversations—and that’s a mistake by Nathan Friedman
- Why diversity is important, and the Obvious way towards it by Rahul Gonsalves
- Airbnb Is Spending Millions of Dollars to Make Nightmares Go Away by Olivia Carville
- Detransition, baby by Torrey Peters: only just started it, but so far so great 💛